Saturday, December 1, 2012

World AIDS Day 2012

I came into Huaraz yesterday to help Keren, Ali, and Katy with their World AIDS Day (Dec. 1) Project. All three live in the same valley, although in different communities, and decided to work together for a valley-wide event.

As much as I like to say that I was a key figure in their project's success, I have to admit, I did almost nothing. They were the one's that got their health posts, municipalities, and schools all organized and ready for the celebration in the district's capital. The only thing I had to do, was show up and be a guest judge for the class skits the students presented.

There were 12 skits in all, with each class competing for prizes. Third Place got a cool AIDS poster for their classroom, Second Place got a Monopoly board game, and First Place got, drum roll please.... a Peru themed Monopoly game (I think the municipality payed for these prizes). The skits lasted between 5 and 20 minutes each, included both Quechua and Spanish, and touched on a variety of themes: Family Values, Communication, the ABCs of AIDS Prevention, and Discrimination. In the end I was glad I got to participate, and walked away with a slight sun burn (we sat at the judges table in the sun from 9am to 1pm). Here are a few pictures:
The kids parading with their banners. 

The judges: Katy, the Health Post Doctor, and myself. Keren was also a judge, but isn't in this shot. 

That's a fake mustache on that police officer. 

In fact there were two fake mustaches in this play. Interestingly enough, the skit was about a step-father violating his step-daughter. A little off the point of the celebration, but a currently appropriate topic for this particular community.

This sign says "The decision is always yours. Protect yourself".  
Here's me getting distracted, acting like I'm taking a picture of the skit, but really focusing on the mountain. Maybe I shouldn't have been a judge. 

Here's a better shot of the mountain.