Monday, July 16, 2012

4th of July, 2012

This year's Forth of July celebrations were pretty simple, although fun. I taught a morning class to the 5th graders entitled "Diversity in the USA". Basically, it was my attempt to explain that the United States is more than just "rich/backpacker White people", Maimi and the city of Nueve York (New York). I touched on the racial and cultural diversities in the US, and how we do have unfavorable things like poverty, gangs, etc. To counter balance the negative, I ended the presentation on the "American Dream". Here are the boys after class, with the flags I handed out:



After the class, I jumped on a combi and met up with some other volunteers in the area for a BBQ at local hotel outside of Huaraz. They didn't charge us anything, let us use their grill, and even filled up the pool for us; however, it was a little cold and cloudy to really enjoy swimming (I have other methods of cooling off).

John William grilling some meat.

Note the Hat and Scarf... thanks family. Also not that John William donated his shirt as a  flag. 

Pat approves this burger. 

The pool.