Monday, February 18, 2013

Pamparomas, Ancash

With vacaciones utiles (summer school) in full swing, it's been hard for me to do things like blog or  escape my site, but I did make a pretty neat day trip over to Pamparomas.

Pamparomas is a small town 3 hours away from mine on the other side of the Cordillera Negra.  I've been curious about this little pueblo for a while, and decided i should go check it out before the rains get too bad, and I'm glad I did. I think the videos speak for themselves; however, it may help if you keep in mind the following things. It at about 10,000 feet, You can see the coast from the town's plaza,  and while in the sierra with lots of traditional quechua people, it has a very interesting coastal open/warm friendly feeling to it.

The video and photo documentation doesn't do the whole trip justice, but I gave it my best shot. Enjoy:

Looking towards the Cordillera Blanca as we headed up over the Cordillera Negra.

Santa Cruz Mountain. 

Passing through Alta Huata. 

Another look at Santa Cruz.

Our steady steed. 


Me in the clouds of the Cordillera Negra. 

A small chapel we passed by on our way to Pamparomas. 

A path I took through some cacti. 

Above the clouds looking towards the Pacific. 

I'm not sure what exactly this shelter is/was, but it was near some ruins. 

Again looking to the west coast. 

Story book mountains in the mist. 


Sunset as I return to the town after my hike. 

The town of Pamparomas at night.



And now for the videos: